On cold winter nights or even cool spring nights sometimes a bowl of soup is exactly what the soul needs. When it comes to comfort soups two come to mind for our household, chicken and rice soup and potato soup. This delicious and easy potato soup is budget-friendly and can be vegetarian too. We love to make a full Dutch oven to stretch for a few additional meals too. You may find your soup need more or less seasoning to your tastes so feel free to adjust as need.
- 1 bag of frozen diced potatoes
- 2 packages of instant mashed potatoes – sour cream and chive flavor
- 1 small to medium onion – diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 to 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 to 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock (low sodium)
- 2 to 4 cups of milk
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Vegetable Better than Bullion
- 1/4 teaspoon Chicken Better than Bullion
- 6 to 8 strips of cooked and chopped bacon or Flavor God’s Bacon Lover’s Seasoning to taste
- Green onions – diced
- Seasoned Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- In a Dutch oven add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and add your onions and sauté them until they start to become translucent.
- Add your frozen potatoes and cook until they start to become soft and then add your garlic and sauté until the garlic is just starting to brown slightly.
- Add the chicken stock, better than bullion, and paprika, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add your instant mashed potatoes and whisk them in until they are fully incorporated into the soup.
- Add all the milk except 1 cup.
- Mix the remaining cup of milk with the sour cream and whisk it together. Add it to the soup.
- Add in parsley and pepper until your ancestors are happy. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in seasoned salt to taste.
- Add in cheese until melted and well mixed.
- Add any additional seasoning as needed.
- If the soup is too thick add a 1/4 cup water until consistency is reached.
- Serve and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! It is a staple in our house as soon as the weather starts to turn cooler. If you are also looking for more recipes be sure my recipes page for more delicious recipes from our kitchen to yours!